Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week, I’m putting together the mock reading list for a course on young published (fantasy) authors–which includes some of my favourites, as well as others you couldn’t possibly have this course without!
WEEKS ONE THROUGH FIVE: PUBLISHED FROM 1999-2008
1. Eragon, by Christopher Paolini. First published in 2002; written when Christopher was 15.
2. In the Forests of the Night, by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Published in 1999, when Amelia was 14.
3. The Prophecy of the Stones, by Flavia Bujor. Published in 2002, when Flavia was 13.
4. Swordbird, by Nancy Yi Fan. Published in 2007; written when Nancy was 11.
5. The Eyes of a King, by Catherine Banner. Published in 2008, when Catherine was 14.
WEEKS SIX THROUGH TEN: PUBLISHED FROM 2011-2015
6. Legacy, by Cayla Kluver. First published in 2011; written when Cayla was 14.
7. What’s Left of Me, by Kat Zhang. Published in 2012, when Kat was 19.
8. The Bone Season, by Samantha Shannon. Published in 2013, when Shannon was 21.
9. Take Back the Skies, by Lucy Saxon. Published in 2014; written when Lucy was 16.
10. The Novice, by Taran Matharu. Published in 2015; written when Matharu was 22.
So if you were the one teaching a 101 course, what kind of course would you teach? Which books would you spotlight? And are there maybe any young fantasy authors that you love, that you think I should have included in this post? Let me know!